- Published: Friday, 19 January 2024 18:38
- Written by Andy Kaufman
Total Duration 33:40
In this episode, Andy Kaufman interviews Kayla McGuire, a seasoned project manager and coach who runs a boot camp to help people learn and prepare for becoming a freelancer. They discuss Kayla's journey to project management and freelancing, lessons in leading projects, practical tips for running projects, reasons for pursuing freelancing, common mistakes in freelancing, and the importance of mentors. Kayla also shares insights on using LinkedIn effectively and the value of continual learning and personal development. The episode concludes with information about Kayla's freelancer boot camp.
- Consider the possibility of freelancing or becoming an entrepreneur to experience more fulfillment and freedom in your career.
- Recognize patterns in team dynamics and use pattern recognition to lead teams through projects more effectively.
- Empower your teams to get the job done by having conversations about their goals, providing resources for learning and development, and building strong relationships through one-on-one meetings.
- When considering freelancing, focus your energy on building your network and finding clients rather than spending time on non-essential tasks like website design or office remodeling.
- 00:00 Andy's Introduction to the Episode
- 01:57 Start of Interview
- 02:09 Kayla's Path to Project Management and Freelancing
- 06:00 Lessons in Leading Projects
- 12:06 The Lure of Freelancing: Freedom and Autonomy
- 15:03 Common Mistakes When Starting Freelancing
- 17:07 Introducing the Freelancer Bootcamp
- 19:10 The Importance of Finding Your Niche
- 19:39 Leveraging LinkedIn for Success
- 24:18 Continual Learning and Personal Development
- 31:05 Balancing Work and Personal Life
- 32:56 Final Thoughts
Gift a Loved One a Head Start With Their Career
Do you know someone dealing with career uncertainty?
My experience is there are a growing number of people who dread being asked the question, “So, what’s the plan?” When it comes to their career, they have no freaking idea!
I bring this up because I want you to check out our new course entitled just that: No Freaking Idea: How to Navigate Career Uncertainty. It’s a career guide for people who don’t know what they want to do, and it has been so fun to hear the feedback on the course.
Whether you are wondering about the next steps in your career or it's a son or daughter and you'd like to give them a head start as a gift, learn more by going to NoFreakingIdea.courses. Thanks!
Thank you for joining me for this episode of The People and Projects Podcast!
Talent Triangle: Business Acumen
The following music was used for this episode: