- Published: Saturday, 13 February 2016 21:03
- Written by Andy Kaufman
Total Duration 32:32
Out of the Shallows
Project managers are constantly tasked with juggling priorities and managing interruptions. We live in the shallows, so to speak, not the deep. Getting time for focused work seems increasingly difficult. In his new book Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World, Cal Newport offers 4 rules to help us out of the distraction:
- Work Deeply. There are strategies to get more concentrated work time.
- Embrace Boredom. Don't try to cram in something to every spare moment.
- Quit Social Media. Give Cal a chance to make his case before writing this one off!
- Drain the Shallows. There's some low-hanging fruit we can get rid of to gain more focused time.
To learn more about Cal and his book, please visit his website at: http://calnewport.com/books/deep-work/. Make sure to check out his popular blog.
Celebration Special Discount
We're celebrating the launch of our e-learning on a new platform! You can now find our courses at http://courses.i-leadonline.com. The first 25 people who purchase our Essentials of Project Management or Advanced Project Management e-learning offerings using the coupon code FEBRUARY-16 will get $200 USD off the price. This offer is good until the end of February 2016, or when 25 people have enrolled. Celebrate with us while getting PDUs/contact hours for a great price!
Thank you for joining me for this episode of The People and Projects Podcast! Have a great week!
P.S. For a follow-up article on Cal's book, check out my LinkedIn post by clicking here. Thanks!